Prior to the Islamic conquest of Sindh by the Arabian armies of Muhammad Bin Qasim, the land where Mirpur Khas now stands used to be a thriving Buddhist settlement known as Kahoo Jo Daro. The remnant stupa still remains and as the armies settled in the area, newer buildings occupied the land and led into massively progressive landscapes. Farming became known to people and horticulture and cotton fields blossomed.
In 1806, Mankani Talpurs shifted their capital from Keti Mir Tharo and laid foundations for Mirpur Khas under the leadership of Mir Ali Murad Talpur. Mir Sher Muhammad Talpursucceeded Mir Ali Murad and built a fort when declared the ruler of the state. He would run akutchery from within the fort. Mirpurkhas remained capital of Talpur Mirs of Mirpurkhas until 1843 when Sindh was annexed to British India under East India Company. When Charles James Napier attacked Sindh, Mir Sher Muhammad Talpur was the last Talpur ruler to face the British on 24 March 1843 at the battleground of Dubbo. His battle for the liberation of Sindh has rendered him the title of ‘the lion of Sindh’. The kutchery in the fort now has a tablet embedded at the entrance reading, “The fort within which this building stands was residence of Mir Sher Muhammad Khan, the Lion of Sind.”
Later Sindh was made part of Bombay Presidency and Mirpurkhas was a part of it. Umerkotwas made the district’s head-quarter town and Mirpur Khas was ignored until the advent of theLuni–Hyderabad branch of the Jodhpur–Bikaner Railway, a subsidiary of the Scinde Railwayto the town. The opening of the Jamrao Canal in 1900 made Mirpur Khas stand out of the rest of the towns in the district. It was constituted a municipality in 1901 and was made the district head-quarter in 1906.
At the turn of the twentieth century, the population of the town was 2,787 with a density of 82 persons per square mile, however the district, as a whole, saw significant growth in the rise of population from 27,866 (1891) to 37,273 (1901). The cotton produced at Mirpur Khas was considered the best in the country when surveyed and the British exploited the produce by exporting it to other nations.
After the partition, because of its proximity with the Indian border, Mirpur Khas became the first city to welcome refugees from the newly found Indian nation to Pakistan. It acted as a primary railway junction for the first trains to rail across the Rajistan to the Sindh province.
The city has three government colleges: Shah Abdul Latif Government Science College for Boys, Ibne-Rushd Government Degree College for women and Model College of Arts Education, all affiliated with the University of Sindh. Of the Higher Secondary Education Institutions, Government Shah-wali-Allah Higher secondary school, Government Model High School, Government Comprehensive Higher Secondary School for Boys, Government High School for boys and government High School for Girls, Government Higher Secondary School for Boys Bhansinghabad, and Government Higher Secondary School for Girls Bhansinghabad are actively running in the city.
Mirpurkhas also has a Sindh University Campus that have five(5) Departments:
1:- BS-Information Technology
2:- BS-Computer Science
- Muslims: 89.00%
- Hindus: 9.71%
- Christians: 0.90%
- Ahmadis: 0.27%
- Others: 0.12%